During the 2020-2021 academic year, the faculty continued to attain scholarly achievements despite the pandemic’s impact on conference and presentation schedules. Below is a summary of the faculty’s accomplishments in publication, presentation, and poster dissemination activities. The list includes exemplar research awards.
- Christopher Prosser, Yoseph Mamo, James Heimdal, Tao Gong & Michael Rabel (2021) Facilitators of African American male PGA members, Sports in Society, DOI:https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17430437.2021.1889514
- Gimblet CJ, Pellinger TK, LaManca JJ, Ortlip AT, Vance MM, Shepherd M, Moore AT, Staudmyer TB, Townsend ZM, and Werner TJ (2021) Effects of Acute Creatine Monohydrate Supplementation on Arterial Stiffness and Muscle Oxygen Saturation in Young Men. Adv Ortho and Sprts Med: AOASM-146.
- Klima, D.W., Rabel, M. Mandelblatt, A. et al (2021). Community-based fall prevention and exercise programs for older adults. Current Geriatrics Reports, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13670-021-00354-w
- Hood, E.W. & Klima, D.W. (2021). Poststroke effects on power production in older adults. Topics in Geriatric Rehabilitation, 37(1), 2-6, doi:10.1097/TGR.0000000000000296
- Klima, D.W. & Davey, A. (2021). Screening gait performance, falls, and physical activity among Benedictine and Trappist monks. Journal of Primary Care & Community Health. 12, 50132721990187. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/2150132721990187
Oral and Poster Presentations:
- Niehaus, V, Klima, DW. The effects of Home-based Balance Program Following Deep Brain Stimulation for a Bilateral Upper Extremity Drug-induced Tremor: A Case Report. CSM Virtual, March 2021.
- Pellinger, TK. Experimental Biology, National Meeting, 2021. The Effects of a 11-Week Resistance Training Program on Arterial Stiffness in Females. (Oral Presentation 4/29/21)
- Christopher J. Prosser, Shashank Nautiyal, Michael Rabel, Tao Gong, James Heimdal. Institutional Constraints in Elite Sport: Connecting Institutional Theory and Rigid Environment. North American Society for Sport Management Conference, May 2020.
- Layshock, Mary E., Gill, Cindy H., Students: Andaya, Czarmaine, Deems, Sydney, Findle, Megan. Do Physical Therapists in Maryland Know About Myotonic Dystrophy? A Preliminary Analysis. APTA CSM Virtual, February 2021.
- Sanfilippo, Michelle, Layshock, Mary E., Keniston, Leslie P. Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Disease Progression:The Usefulness and Limitations of Functional Outcome Measures. APTA CSM Virtual, February 2021.
- Keeping our Seniors Moving and Engaged During the Pandemic
Dennis Klima, PhD, PT, MS, GCS, NCS
Mary DiBartolo, PhD, MBA, RN-BC, CNE, FGSA
Edmund G. Beacham
48th Annual Conference: Current Topics in Geriatrics (Virtual); Johns Hopkins Medical Institution, March 24, 2021
- “What are you talking about? And do I really need to know this?”: Tools of Engagement so you don’t get these questions
Mary E. Layshock, PT, DPT, GCS
LaShawn D. Nastvogel, Ph.D., CSCS. NSCA-CPT
Lombuso S. Khoza, Ph.D.
UMES Innovatoins in Teaching & Learning Conference, May 21, 2021
Winner—First Place Graduate Poster Presentation
2021 UMES Research Symposium
Title: The Impact of a One-Day Comprehensive Interdisciplinary Bone Health Workshop on Bone Health Knowledge and Self-efficacy in Physical Therapists.
Students: Ariana Maxwell, Michelle Poulopoulos, Abbey Sauber, Maria Statakos
Advisor(s): Cindy H. Gill, Mary Layshock
Presentation(s): Poster Presentation