NOAA-EPP LMRCSC Master’s Graduate
M.S., Marine, Estuarine & Environmental Science
University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science-IMET
Amanda Lawrence graduated with her master’s degree from the University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science – IMET in the fall of 2020. During her time at the university, Lawrence studied Molecular Environmental Biotechnology and was enrolled in the Marine, Estuarine & Environment Science program. While pursuing her graduate degree, Amanda studied under the advisement of Drs. Sook Chung and Rosemary Jagus. The NOAA EPP graduate centered her research on the investigation of the function of eIF4E family members in blue crab reproductive and molt cycles. Amanda was selected as the IMET 2017-2018 NIST Fellow which provided one to two years of support. She received her dual B.S. in Biology and Environmental Marine Science at Salisbury University and the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. Amanda now works as a Fellowships Coordinator at the NOAA Sea Grant Office, located in Silver Spring, Md.
NERTO Project Title: Investigating Effects of Ocean Acidification on Larval Development of the Dungeness Crab
NOAA Mentor (s): Dr. Paul McElhany (NOAA NWFSC, Mukilteo, WA) and Dr. Shallin Busch (NOAA OAR Ocean Acidification Program).
Academic Advisor: Dr. J Sook Chung
- Lawrence, A., Chung, J.S., and Stevens, B. (2019). Investigating Male Sexual Maturity of the Jonah Crab, Cancer borealis. Presented at American Fisheries Society 149th Annual Meeting and Joint Conference With the Fish and Wildlife Society for the Techno-Fish Seminar Series, Reno, Nevada, September 29, 2019 – October 03, 2019. Oral Presentation*
- Lawrence, A. (2019). Presented at American Fisheries Society 149th Annual Meeting and Joint Conference With the Fish and Wildlife Society for the Diversity and Inclusion Seminar Series, Reno, Nevada, September 29, 2019 – October 03, 2019. Oral Presentation*
- Lawrence, A., Green, S. & Chung, J.S. (2017). Isolation and tissue distribution of an insulin-like androgenic gland hormone (IAG) of the male red deep-sea crab, Chaceon quinquedens. Marine Drugs, 15(8):241-X, 2017 July.
- Chung, J.S., Huang, X., Bachvaroff, T.R., Lawrence, A., Pitula, J.S. & Jagus, R. (2019). Infection by Callinectes sapidus reovirus increases transcript levels of eukaryotic translation initiation factor 4E(eIF4E) family members and eIF4E binding protein (4E-BP) in the hemocytes and eyestalk ganglia of the blue crab, C. sapidus, In press for Journal of Shellfish Research.
- Chung, J.S., Huang, X., Bachvaroff, T.R., Lawrence, A., Pitula, J.S. et. al. (2019). Reovirus infection changes transcript levels of eukaryotic translation initiation factor 4E (eIF4E) family members and eIF4E binding protein (4E-BP) in the blue crab Callinectes sapidus. J of Shellfish Res 38:23-34 .doi.org/10.2983/035.038.0102
- Lawrence, A., Green, S., and Chung, J.S. (2017). Isolation and Tissue Distribution of an insulin-Like Androgenic Gland Hormone (IAG) of the Male Red Deep-Sea Crab, Chaceon quinquedens. Mar. Drugs 15(8), 241; https://doi.org/10.3390/md15080241
- Lawrence, A. (2018). Isolating insulin-like androgenic gland (IAG) hormone cDNA sequence of the red deep-sea male crab, Chaceon quinquedens. Presented at the American Fisheries Society meeting, Atlantic City, NJ, August 2018.
- Lawrence, A. (2018). Protein quantification utilizing quantification concatemers. Presented at the National Institute of Standards and Technology summer internship colloquium, Gaithersburg, MD, August 2018.
- Lawrence, A. (2018). Isolating an Insulin-like androgenic gland (IAG) hormone from the male red deep-sea crab, Chaceon quinquedens. Presented at the International Crustacean Conference, Washington, D.C., May 2018.
NOAA Living Marine Resources Cooperative Science Center
University of Maryland Eastern Shore (Lead Institution)
Award numbers: FY 2016 Award #NA16SEC4810007
Funding Agency: NOAA Educational Partnership Program with Minority-Serving Institutions (EPP/MSI)