Transfer Credit Approval Process

Summer or Winter Session Courses

Once you have chosen the course(s) you wish to take, pick up an “Application for Non-UMES Study” from the department.  Your adviser or department chairperson will review the course(s) you plan to take and will assign UMES equivalents.  The completed form must be signed by your chairperson and your dean.  When you have the required signatures, bring the form to the Associate Registrar, Student Developement Center first floor.  At the end of the term, request an official transcript from the Registrar’s Office at the institution you attended.  (Make sure your grade(s) has/have been recorded first!)  The transcript should be sent to the UMES Registrar’s Office, Student Developement Center.  Once your transcript arrives, it will be matched up with your non-UMES study form and the credits will be entered in your record.  If you did not secure prior approval on a non-UMES study form, a copy of the transcript will be sent to your department chairperson for evaluation.  Please note that in general, grades earned in courses completed at other institutions will not appear on your UMES transcript and will not affect your cumulative grade-point average.  The single exception is coursework completed at another University of Maryland system campus (Baltimore, Baltimore County, College Park, University College).  Courses taken at these institutions will appear in your record as though they were completed at UMES.

Scroll to Top