Student Accounts FAQs

General FAQs:

What is your mailing address?

University of Maryland Eastern Shore
Office of Student Accounts
SDC Building, Suite 1160
Princess Anne, MD 21853

What are your office hours?

Monday – Friday
8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (ET)

Where is the Student Accounts Office located?

We are located on the first floor of the Student Development Center (SDC)
Campus Map 

What is SOAR to HAWK?
  • Students who have anticipated financial aid resulting in a credit on the student account may elect to transfer funds to their Hawk Card. Students must have a credit balance showing under the total, including anticipated aid.
  • The maximum transfer for Soar to Hawk is $2,000.00.
How do I get directions to UMES?

Billing & Payments FAQs:

What are the tuition costs?
What is a Pre-Enrollment Block?

A pre-enrollment block is a block that is applied to the student’s account when  there is an outstanding financial balance. A pre-enrollment block can prevent a student from enrolling into future courses.

What is a Balance Transcript Hold?

A balance transcript hold is a restriction that is applied to the student’s account when unpaid charges are due. A balance transcript hold can prevent a student from  receiving a diploma and/or transcript.

What is the Payment Confirmation?

The payment confirmation is the final step in the enrollment process and is required to be completed by all students; even for students with a zero balance.

The payment confirmation is a process that:

A) Gives students with a prior balance less than $500 the option to automatically enroll on a payment plan.

B) Places a positive indicator on the accounts of students that have paid their bill or enrolled on a payment plan. This indicator prevents classes from being dropped for non-payment.

C) Records pay plan detail and is the student’s financial responsibility statement acknowledging charges and intent to attend. 

How do I complete the Payment Confirmation?
To whom do I make my check payable?

All checks or money orders should be made payable to University of Maryland Eastern Shore or UMES. The student’s name and ID number must appear on all checks submitted to the university.

How do I make a payment online?

Log into Hawk Web located on the My UMES Portal . Click on “Make a Payment” located under the Finances tab.

How can I find out what my balance is if I have not received my bill yet?

Log into My UMES Portal with username and password. Click on Hawk Web Self Service which will bring you to the Student Center. Click on “Detail Account Information” located under “My Account”.  

You can also contact Student Accounts at 410-651-6092/6093.

How can I access my payment plan?

Students will log into My UMES Portal using their username and password. Select Hawk Web>Self Service>Display Confirmation>Term>Search>Show Pay Plan

Why was my credit card declined when I tried to pay my bill?

If your credit card was declined at the time of submission, check the account number to confirm the information was entered correctly. Otherwise, a decline means that funds were insufficient.

If you are using a check/debit card and the card was declined, you may want to call your bank to verify the daily limit set by the bank.

What happens if I do not pay my bill?

If you do not pay your account balance by the due date, you may be dis-enrolled from your classes and lose eligibility for other services, such as receipt of transcripts and diplomas.

Per State of Maryland regulations, unpaid accounts are generally considered delinquent at 90 days past due. At that time, an unpaid account is eligible for transfer to the State of Maryland Central Collection Unit.

What happens if my UMES account goes to collections for nonpayment?

Once a balance has been transferred to the State Central Collections Unit, a collections fee of 17% is added to the total amount transferred. SCCU also reports all transferred balances to the major credit bureaus.

My account became past due and was transferred to the State Central Collection Agency. What do I have to do to register for classes, receive a diploma or request a transcript?

Your account must be paid in full before you can register for classes, receive a diploma and/or request a transcript.


Students who have anticipated financial aid resulting in a credit on the student account may elect to transfer funds to their Hawk Card. Students must have a credit balance under total including anticipated aid.

What if I cancel my housing and meal plans?
Scroll to Top