Transforming Sports, Advancing Health, Unleashing Potential with your Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science or Sport Management
Kinesiology is an academic discipline which involves the study of physical activity and its impact on health, society, and quality of life. It includes, but is not limited to, such areas of study as exercise science, sports management, athletic training and sports medicine, socio-cultural analyses of sports, sport and exercise psychology, fitness leadership, physical education-teacher education, and pre-professional training for physical therapy, occupational therapy, medicine and other health or sport related fields.
At the intersection of exercise and sport lies our Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science and Bachelor of Science in Sport Management degree from the Department of Kinesiology. We invite you to join our program where we study, understand, and innovate in the realms of Exercise Science and Sport Management.
Exercise Science: Understand the blueprint and intricacies of human movement. From physiology to biomechanics, embark on a journey that combines science with health and wellness.
- Develop the foundational knowledge of anatomy, biomechanics, physiology, and the psychology of physical activity and exercise.
- Embrace a holistic understanding of how the human body responds to exercise.
- Equip yourself with knowledge that paves the way for a career in health, wellness, and athletic performance.
Sport Management: Dive into the dynamic world of sports. From event planning to team management, set the pace for your career in the vibrant sports industry.
- Enter the dynamic world of sports business, event management, and athletic administration.
- Gain insights into the global impacts, trends, and challenges of the sports industry.
- Foster relationships with industry professionals to create a vibrant and successful career path.
- Gain skills, competencies and proficiency about the Olympic ideals and learn how to design and deliver Olympism in Action ventures across sport agencies.
Why Choose Our Department?
- Innovative Curriculum: Courses are designed to prepare you for the challenges and opportunities in the rapidly evolving fields of sport and health. We offer classes in- person, online, or in hybrid models
- World-class Faculty: Learn from the best. Our staff comprises renowned researchers, sport industry professionals, and exercise science experts. Work alongside a team of dedicated professionals and scholars passionate about making your dreams a reality.
- Hands-on Experience: Our internship programs partner with top sports organizations and health clinics. Our small class size and personalized teaching instruction lets our department know each student by name, not number.
- Community Outreach: Participate in community events, health fairs, and workshops, enhancing your network and making a positive impact. Our department is more than just a place to study; it’s a community. Join clubs, attend workshops, and engage in outreach programs that resonate with your passions.
- Career Prospects: Benefit from our strong industry ties, fostering internships, placements, and a successful transition into the professional world. We frequently host industry leaders, alumni, and workshops, ensuring you’re always a step ahead in your professional journey.
Join Us and be more than just a spectator. Drive innovation in health. Transform the global sport industry. Your journey begins here, where science meets passion and purpose, and where dreams become reality.
Take the Next Step
Earn one of our degrees in Kinesiology or Sports Management and soar above and beyond as you help others and serve your community.
Explore Bachelors Programs in the Department of Kinesiology at UMES
Welcome to the dynamic world of Exercise Science and Sport Management at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. As you embark on this academic journey, you’re not just choosing a degree but stepping into a realm of limitless possibilities. Our Bachelor programs in Exercise Science delve deep into the human body’s intricacies, blending the art of movement with the science of performance. You’ll gain invaluable insights into health, movement, and athletic performance. On the other hand, our Sport Management program unlocks the dynamic universe of sports business integrated with the Olympic ideals and Olympism in Action ventures. From event coordination to marketing, dive into the strategic and operational facets of the global sports industry. At the Department of Kinesiology, we pride ourselves on a holistic approach, integrating rigorous coursework, hands-on experiences, and industry insights linked to the skills and competencies of the 21st century. Get ready to be challenged, inspired, and transformed into a professional ready to make a mark in the vibrant fields of exercise and sport. Your journey begins here.
Student Life in the Department of Kinesiology at UMES
When you earn one of our undergraduate degrees in Exercise Science or Sports Management, you’ll become a member of a thriving community of faculty, staff, and other Kinesiology majors who have also chosen to dedicate their academic and professional lives to helping their communities. Stepping into the world of Kinesiology isn’t just about understanding the mechanics of human movement and the sports industry; it’s about student engagement and enrichment opportunities. You can join our Kinesiology Club to develop your professional and leadership skills, build a solid network of colleagues, and participate in community service events in the community around UMES. Assist us with your participation in the Annual Hawk Walk to raise campus awareness of the importance of staying active and having fun. We also have global opportunities where our students go abroad and serve international communities. No matter the location, our students serve the communities they interact with and make a positive impact.
Funding Opportunities for Your Education
Earning one of our valuable degrees in Exercise Science or Sports Management is a major investment in yourself and the individuals you will help throughout your career. That’s why we invest in you through generous scholarships, grants, and other financial aid.
- We offer $200,000 in departmental scholarships to kinesiology students each year to help you through the financial difficulties of school.
- The department offers scholarships for new students, financial hardships, leadership/community service, and even scholarships for you to attend professional conferences and meetings!
As a Kinesiology student at UMES, you could be eligible for university-wide scholarship through prestigious organizations such as the Thurgood Marshall College Fund and the United Negro College Fund. UMES students can also apply for several types of need- and non-need-based grants to help pay for tuition. These include the federal Pell Grant, Maryland state grants, and UMES grants. To be considered for federal, state, and institutional grant funds, students must first complete the FAFSA.
Available Careers for Kinesiology Majors
When you graduate with your sports management or exercise science degree from UMES, you’ll leave with the essential skills and knowledge necessary to become a leader in fields such as physical therapy, occupational therapy, athletic training or directing, coaching, sport manager, sport event coordinator, and more. You’ll also be supported by a strong alumni network of faculty and other Sports Management and Exercise Science majors who have found success doing what they love and help you begin and excel in your career.
Our B.S. in Exercise Science and Sport Management degree graduates are also prepared to excel in graduate programs and specialize in the field. The Department of Kinesiology offers our students guaranteed seating to various graduate programs including physical therapy, occupational therapy, athletic training, rehabilitation counseling, and masters of sport management and business programs across the nation.
Below are careers our graduates have pursued with statistics according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS):
- Athletic Facility Manager – 11% job growth; annual median salary $101,000
- Physical Therapy – 15% job growth; annual median salary $98,000
- Occupational Therapy – 12% job growth; annual median salary $93,00
- Athletic Trainer – 14% job growth; annual median salary $54,000
- Sport Manager – 17% job growth; annual median salary $49,000
- Coach – 9% job growth; annual median salary $45,000