Step 1: During the semester or summer term in which you intend to submit your thesis or dissertation for graduation, you must:
- Be registered for the semester or term you intend to graduate;
- Complete the online Application for Degree through the UMES Registrar’s Office
- Consult the “deadlines” provided by the Graduate School (click here for deadlines).
Step 2: Schedule the defense of your thesis or dissertation well in advance of the submission deadline in order to submit your final document to the Graduate School. ALL students must announce their dissertation defense online two weeks prior to their defense.
Note: Your committee must have your complete dissertation or thesis three (3) weeks prior to your defense. You need to leave adequate time to make any modifications required by your advisor and/or the committee.
Step 3: Defend your thesis or dissertation. Have your committee sign the Thesis or Dissertation Approval Sheet.
Step 4: Make any edits to your document as required by your committee.
Step 5: Submit an electronic copy of your final document to the Graduate School at email@example.com
Step 6: After submitting electronically, you would receive an email from the Graduate School indicating that your electronic submission is approved for binding.
Step 7: Print two copies of the approved electronic version of your thesis/dissertation on 25% cotton acid free paper.
- Remember to include the Signed Thesis or Dissertation Approval Sheet also on 25% cotton acid free paper
- If you receive a request for revisions, make the necessary revisions and then print the two copies on 25% cotton acid free paper.
Step 8: PhD students must complete the “Survey of Earned Doctorates” online at https://sed-ncses.org/GradDateRouter.aspx. (Ed.D., and Master’s students are exempt).
Confirmation: If you do not hear from the Graduate School or from ProQuest, this means that your ETD is still under review. Once your final submission is complete, it will appear as such in ProQuest.