THE DR. ARCHIE BUFFKINS SCHOLARSHIP FOR GRADUATE EDUCATION
The purpose of the Scholarship is to provide funds toward one or more UMES graduate student(s)’ expenses in an academic year. The scholarship is named after Dr. Archie Buffkins, the 10thPresident of the University of Maryland Eastern Shore who served from 1971 to 1974. Dr. Buffkins was an advocate for both the quality of and the enhancement of academic programs and research in the arts, humanities and the sciences. The 2005-2006 year was the first year of spendable income generated from the 2003 endowment.
The criteria for applying for the scholarship are as follows:
- A full-time degree seeking student in one of the graduate programs listed below.
- Full-time is a minimum of nine (9) graduate level credit hours of coursework in the graduate program to which the student has been admitted; prerequisite and repeat coursework do not count toward the nine credit hours.
- The student is enrolled for the nine graduate credit hours in the semester in which s/he is applying for the scholarship.
- The student has a 3.4 or higher cumulative grade point average (GPA) at the close of the prior UMES academic semester or session.
- The student has Regular Admission status at the time of the application submission.
- The student is a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident of the U.S.
- The student is in the second or later semester of enrollment for the degree program.
- The student is developing a research prospectus for a thesis, dissertation, or research project.
- Eligible graduate programs for this year’s funding are: Food and Agricultural Sciences; Food Science and Technology; Marine-Estuarine-Environmental Sciences (Masters and Doctoral); Physical Therapy; Toxicology.
- Financial need information may be provided for consideration.
Application Submission: Applications are submitted to the School of Graduate Studies office, Engineering and Aviation Sciences Complex, Suite 3046.
Awards Announcement: School of Graduate Studies Office, Engineering and Aviation Sciences Complex, Suite 3046. After the application deadline for the semester, data on the applications are confirmed, and the applications reviewed according to the criteria. Applicants are notified of the award. Awards are processed through University Relations.
Use of Awards: Toward payment of tuition and fees or related educational costs of attending UMES.
Because of the limited spendable income amount, all award decisions are final. The exceptions, usually rare, are the decline of an award by a recipient or the withdrawal of an awardee from classes early in the semester, which may provide unobligated funds which can be reallocated for the semester.
Applicants who do not meet the eligibility criteria are so notified at the time of the application review.