Safety & Security Advisory
The safety of all ceremony participants and guests is a top priority of the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. The University has adopted a number of procedures to maintain safety at Commencement and other major events hosted at the William P. Hytche Center.
Please note that all seating is on a first come-first served basis (doors open two hours prior to the start of each ceremony). While all seating in the Hytche Center is great for viewing purposes, we suggest arriving early for the best seating.
Any guest who enters the Hytche Center must have a ticket (this includes infants and children). There is no exception to this rule. Forged, reprinted, digital or photocopied tickets will not be honored.
All Guest bags will be checked prior to event entrance, and bags larger than 22 x 12 x 8 inches will not be permitted in the arena.
Guests with bags that exceed size limit or other prohibited items will not be able to stow their items, and will be asked to discard these items or return them to their vehicle. Prohibited items include:
- food and beverage that may be brought into Hytche are limited to: unopened bottles of water, small bags of snack or fruit. Alcohol is not permitted.
- animals (with the exception of service animals)
- bags/purses larger than 22 x 12 x 8″
- large banners or posters
- balloons, confetti, streamers, glitter, fireworks, etc.
- balls, bikes, hoverboards, roller blades, scooters, etc.
- cigarettes, vapes, etc.
- containers, coolers, flasks, baskets, etc.
- drones or airborne devices
- illegal drugs
- noise making devices (bullhorns, megaphones air horns etc.) weapons (aerosol cans, mace, pepper spray, firearms, pocket knives etc.)
A special Aid Station will be located at the east end of the corridor in the William P. Hytche Athletic Center. Ushers and safety personnel will be able to direct you to the Aid Station if the need arises.