This major maximizes students’ individual potential, allowing them to pursue careers in any of the many specializations within the field of commercial photography. Areas included but not limited to portraiture, still life, real-estate photography, photojournalism, sports photography, travel, editorial, advertising, etc. The Commercial Photography concentration infuses 21st century technology with a basis of knowledge in traditional photographic techniques. Graduates enter the job market with the knowledge and experience to shape their own future. Sign up today and begin your journey into the exciting and fast-paced world of professional image making!
The Department also has:
- modern facilities, cameras, and equipment that reflect current trends in the industry
- recognition as the only HBCU to offer a Commercial Photography program
- recent sponsorship from Sony camera company
- faculty that have real life experience in the field and are actively working in the industry
- mandatory internships that support and embrace professional development
- annual field trips to museums in NY, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C.
- active student art organization (Envision Club).
- brand new shooting studio, full darkroom facilities, Macintosh digital lab, fleet of new digital cameras, and dedicated printing/retouching space for photography majors
Recent graduates have gone on to:
- be employed as staff photographer in the House of Representatives.
- become successful photojournalists.
- run their own photography business
- be published nationally.
- complete MFA programs.
Apply to UMES HERE!!