Employment is another funding option for students who need assistance with educational expenses. Employment opportunities available at UMES include:

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

Federal Work Study (FWS) is a federally funded program intended to provide part-time employment opportunities for students who are in need of funds to attend an institution of higher education; it is classified as a “self-help” program.  FWS is designed for students to earn money allocated to them thereby contributing to the cost of their education.  FWS is often awarded to students, in conjunction with other forms of financial aid.

Various departments on campus, as well as, off campus locations employ FWS students.

Students must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and meet the March 1st deadline.  Funds for FWS are awarded on a first come, first served basis based on financial need.

Finding a Position

Once you have been awarded FWS, the Federal Work-study Coordinator will assign you to an available position on campus.  Assignments are given to FWS recipients on the first day of class of the Fall and Spring semesters.

Students who have received an assignment and completed all necessary payroll paperwork are eligible to begin work on the first day of each fall or spring term. Students with FWS awards must receive their assignment on the first day of class or the award will be cancelled. Due to limited funding, cancelled awards will not be reinstated.

For additional information, please contact Ms. Harmon, Financial Aid Counselor.


Workship is another form of employment designed to assist students with the cost of attendance. Students are paid wages for these positions. Visit the Student Job Board for available positions. As new positions become available, the listing is regularly updated, so check back often.

Other Positions

Other departments may provide opportunities for a student to work in exchange for a waiver of a university cost (such as tuition or room). Examples of departments that provide such opportunities are the Office of Residence Life and various academic departments that have assistantship positions. Students are encouraged to inquire directly through these departments.

Scroll to Top