• Be enrolled at least half-time (except for Federal Pell Grant) in a program leading to a degree at The University of Maryland Eastern Shore. (Audits and cooperative education 00 hours do not count towards enrollment for financial aid purposes);
  • Must have completed any/ all loan requirements (as applicable):  Promissory Note(s) and Entrance Loan Counseling
  • Must have accepted all desired loans via MyUMES;
  • Must have submitted all required documents, if selected for  Federal Verification;
  • Must Meet (and maintain) Satisfactory Academic Progress as defined in the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Standards; and
  • Must not be in a Default status on any educational loan, nor owe any refund on a grant or loan at any institution.

The Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) determines and authorizes financial aid eligibility; the University Bursar (Student Accounts) Office is responsible for the disbursement of your financial aid (except Work-Study). The University Billing Office will apply your financial aid funds to your University “Term” Bill.

In addition to showing tuition and fee charges, your term bill will show an estimate of your approved financial aid (except Work-Study) that is being credited to the contract charges (tuition and fees and on-campus housing and dining) on your term bill. Grants/ scholarships are applied before any loans to pay for contract charges (tuition and fees and on-campus housing and dining). Once financial aid funds have been disbursed, the University Bursar (Student Accounts) Office will refund any excess financial aid (any financial aid over and above what is used for contract charges on your bill) to the student/parent.

Prior to disbursing any financial aid, the OSFA is federally required to review enrollment status for the entire student population. Financial aid disbursement authorization occurs each semester (i.e. Fall, Spring, Summer) and starts to commence the following week after the last day of the Add/Drop period for each particular semester.

*Note*: Pharmacy and Physical Therapy students follow a different timeline for the disbursements and refunds.

You are responsible for paying any miscellaneous charges that appear on your term bill. Miscellaneous charges are anything other than contract charges (tuition and fees and on-campus housing and dining). 

You may contact the University Bursar (Student Accounts) Office at:

Bursar Office

University of Maryland Eastern Shore
Student Development Center (SDC) Building, Suite 1160,
Princess Anne, MD 21853
(410) 651-6092
(410) 651-6093
Email: studentaccounts@umes.edu

Scroll to Top