New Hawk Day Checklist!
- If you have not already provided UMES with your official final transcript, bring your sealed Official Transcript. Note if you have earned credits through dual enrollment, or have completed IB and AP tests – please bring a sealed copy of those scores or have them sent to UMES so that the credits can be applied.
- Make sure you’ve signed up for the ALEKS placement test
- Bring your completed Health History and Immunization records.
- Log into your Hawkweb Account to view and accept your financial aid; before completing your payment confirmation.
- If documents are required for a financial aid determination, please bring the requested documents with you.
- Payment Confirmation: After you have completed your course registration on New Hawk Day you will need to submit your payment confirmation. Instructions can be found at: https://wwwcp.umes.edu/comptroller/wp-content/uploads/sites/56/2021/07/Payment-Confirmation-Instructions.pdf. Please note: The Office of Student Accounts will be at New Hawk Day’s to assist with this process.
- Make sure you’ve signed up for Housing and have selected your Meal Plan.
- Check your acceptance letter to verify that your residency classification (in-state, out of state or Eastern Shore/Regional) is correct. If not correct, contact Admissions at email@example.com for assistance.
- Update who has access to your information in the new electronic submission page in HAWKWeb within your student center. (FERPA Release- Family Education Rights & Privacy Act)
Students Starting Spring 2024
We are so excited to welcome you to UMES’ Hawk Nation and have you become part of the Hawk family! Orientation for students starting in Spring 2024 is a multiple-part process. Please complete all steps to help you successfully transition to college!
2024 New Hawk Day Dates:
Online Orientation – Tuesday, January 16, 2024 (International/Long Distance Students Only)
Online Orientation – Wednesday, January 17, 2024 (All Students Online & Non-Traditional)
Tuesday, January 23, 2024 – In-Person: New Hawk Day, Math Placement Testing & Advising
Wednesday, January 25, 2024 – In-Person: New Hawk Day, Math Placement Testing Only
Step 1: Complete your Orientation Registration (New Hawk Day)
Register for UMES New Hawk Day (Orientation). New Hawk Day will be your official welcome to the Hawk Family! You will meet key members of the campus community, register for your courses, and take care of any other outstanding business such as:
Meet with a Financial Aid counselor
Complete the Aleks Math Placement Test
Turn in your completed Health Forms to the Student Health Center
Take a tour of your new academic home!
Complete the “Admitted Student” website steps
Register and take the practice portion of the ALEK Math Placement Assessment (located in MyUMES under Quick Links, ALEK Math Placement). Completing the assessment will provide students with feedback and assistance in challenged areas of math. This will provide students with the opportunity to practice and provide better results for the assessment on New Hawk Day. Additional information can be found here ALEKS FAQ
Make sure your final transcripts have been submitted from your high school, college, IB, or College Board to the university. (Dual enrollment and passed AP college credits) Submit these documents to the UMES Registrar: firstname.lastname@example.org; they can be reached via phone at 410-651-6414.
Students will register through their Admissions Status Portal (futurehawk) when it is available.
Make sure you have set-up your MyUMES account and logged into your UMES Gmail Account as this will be your primary correspondence email. Your account will receive important information for you to do and complete. Some of these include information about completing your required training before the start of the semester.
All students will select a date to come to campus to attend a New Hawk Day session, or if you are an International, Long Distance or Non-Traditional Student you will have the option to select an online orientation. Academic Advising Team members and Orientation Staff members will guide new students and families through a day of informative information, course placement and scheduling to make sure all of your questions can be answered. For online orientation, students will make an appointment to meet with their advisor and services that will guide them through the onboarding process.
After you attend your New Hawk Day you will be emailed directions on how to access Canvas, UMES’s online learning platform.
The trainings may be accessed through the MyUMES portal using your UMES username and password to log in on a desktop or mobile device and clicking the Canvas app.
Dates Subject to Change
1/22- New Hawk Week Begins
1/25-1/28- Residence Halls Open for All Students
1/29 – First Day of Classes
2/5 – Regular Session Drop/Add Ends
2/6– Class Drop for Non-Payment of Fees
3/11-3/15 Midterm Exams
3/16-3/24 Spring Break
3/22-Midterm Grades Posted in HawkWeb by 4:00 PM
3/28-Academic Advising/Course Registration for Summer/Fall 2024
5/1 – Last Day to Withdraw from a Course
5/10-5/16 – Final Exams
5/17 – Commencement