Staying Legal

There are basic requirements for maintaining student status in the United States. If you are an international student it is very important to follow the guidelines below to ensure that you remain in good standing with the INS:

  1. Keep your passport valid at all times.
  2. Attend the school noted on your I-20 or IAP-66.
  3. Maintain full-time enrollment each semester.
  4. Do not engage in studies beyond the completion date listed on the I-20 or IAP-66. If more time is needed, obtain a Program Extension before the completion date has passed.
  5. Report a change of address or phone number to the Office of International Students.

F-1 Students

  1. If you have changed your major or degree level, obtain a new I-20 which reflects this program of study from the Director of Admissions.
  2. If you commence studies at another school, make sure that the transfer process is completed. Visit the international student office at your new school to obtain a new I- 20, and tell the adviser that you are a transfer student. The new school should take care of the rest.
  3. Do not work without obtaining proper employment permission from the INS. Limit on-campus employment to a total of 20 hours per week (even if you have more than one job) while school is in session.

J-1 Students

  1. Do not change your major or degree program without consulting your sponsor.
  2. Do not begin a new program at another school without consulting your sponsor.
  3. Do not work without permission from your sponsor.

You and your dependents are required by federal regulations to have adequate health insurance coverage while in the U.S. The regulations are very specific about the amount of minimum coverage for each person included in the policy: $50,000 per accident or illness; $7,500 repatriation; $10,000 medical evacuation; deductible may not exceed $500; co-insurance may not exceed 25% of covered benefits per accident or illness.

Websites To Visit

Scroll to Top