Victim/Survivor Frequently Asked Questions

Victim/Survivor Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is the University’s sexual assault policy and procedures?

A: The University of Maryland Eastern Shore’s sexual assault policy and procedures can be found here

Q: How do I know if I was sexually assaulted?

A: Many survivors have clear memories of the incident, while others remember only a few details. Some people experience strong reactions of fear, nausea, panic or despair when exposed to circumstances that remind them of the event (triggers). Triggers may include sounds, tastes, smells, actions and facial expressions.

If you have been sexually assaulted – even if you remember only small details – we can help. Contact the Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance at (410) 651-6135 or email

Q:What are the benefits of seeing a forensic nurse?

A: Without help, the memories and emotions tied to sexual assault can last a lifetime. Many survivors experience shame and low self-esteem, both of which get in the way of a normal, productive life. There are resources available for you HERE

Q: What should I do if I’ve been sexually assaulted?

A: Immediately after the assault you may be in a state of shock. First, understand that it is never your fault. Usually, your first reaction will be to take a bath or shower.

  • Please do not take a bath or shower. Instead, wrap yourself in something warm such as a blanket or coat. Please save your clothes for evidence by putting them in a paper bag.
  • It is very important that you see a doctor as soon as possible after a sexual assault. A medical examination serves two (2) purposes: it ensures that you receive whatever medical aid you need and that any available evidence is collected.
  • Talk with someone you are comfortable with, a friend or family member, who will keep your discussions confidential (except when required by law to report).
  • Contact the Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance. Even if you choose not to move forward with an investigation, we can connect you to resources. You may also find them here.  These will best allow you to make informed decisions after the incident.  The nearest sexual assault/rape crisis center is the Life Crisis Center. The center provides free 24 hour support services for victims of rape, sexual assault and domestic violence. The telephone number is (410)-749-HELP(4357).
Q: Do I have to file a police report to get help?

A: No. The decision of whether to file a police report is yours. We respect your decisions and stand ready to help you even if all you need is someone to talk to.

Q: I want to file criminal charges. What do I do?

A. Contact Public Safety at (410) 651-6590 for more information.

Q: Does the University have an anonymous reporting process?

A: Yes. A student can anonymously report a sexual assault through our public incident report form here.

Q: I was assaulted by another student. How do I press charges through the University?

A: Contact the Office of Equity and Compliance at (410) 651-6135 for more information. You may meet with an investigator in order to report and explore your options under the Sexual Misconduct Policy.

Q: I was drinking before I was assaulted, so is it my fault?

A: No. You are not to blame for the assault. We recommend that you call Counseling Services for more information about victim/survivor support and resources. The Office of Counseling Services is located in the Student Development Center, second floor, suite 2260, (410) 651-6449.

Scroll to Top