The University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES) will be the preeminent public Historically Black University that is recognized for leadership in student-centered education, exceptional research, innovation, and inclusiveness.
As a public 1890 land-grant Historically Black University that embraces diversity, UMES is committed to serving first-generation and underserved students and providing educational, research, and community engagement opportunities to transform the lives of its students who will impact the state, region, and the world.
- Family – embracing our HBCU culture and principles of work, support and celebration.
- Student-Centered – understanding thateverything everyone does at UMES is because of our students.
- Pride – remembering the history and traditions of past achievements serves as our foundation for future accomplishments.
- Collaboration – pursuing opportunities to work together across all parts of the campus.
- Communication – striving to provide timely and relevant information that reflects the UMES vision.