Prepare for a rewarding career in the biological sciences with a Biology degree from the University of Maryland Eastern Shore
Are you fascinated by the biological processes that make up every part of our world—from amoebas to entire ecological systems? Maybe you’re called to become a doctor or dentist? Earning a Bachelor of Science in Biology from the University of Maryland Eastern Shore will help you build a strong foundation in research, theory, and the practical applications of biology to prepare for a variety of careers in nearly every industry or field. As a Biology major at UMES, you’ll join a program designed to align with your academic and career goals—with four concentration tracks in unique fields within biology to help you specialize in the area that most interests you. You’ll also become a vital member of our diverse, close-knit community of faculty, staff, and other Biology majors, who are as dedicated to learning and furthering the field of biology as you are.
Why Choose UMES for Your Bachelor of Science in Biology
Work with esteemed faculty
When you earn your bachelor’s in biology at UMES, you’ll benefit from small class sizes that let you work closely with faculty who bring with them decades of experience as researchers, educators, and mentors. You’ll benefit from their vast expertise in a diverse range of subfields—including physiology and development, pathology, microbiology, and ecology.
Gain hands-on experience with your B.S. in Biology
Our Bachelor of Science in Biology program emphasizes experiential learning opportunities that let you apply what you learn in your classes to practical, real-world scenarios. We offer summer programs, research assistantships, internships at local businesses and nonprofits, fieldwork trips, study abroad, and service-learning projects to address community needs.
Work in cutting-edge labs
Biology majors have access to state-of-the-art technology and equipment that they will use every day in their careers. We offer rewarding collaborative projects with faculty across campus that will introduce you to technology such as gas chromatographs, mass spectrometers, DNA sequencers, wind tunnels, water tunnels, and computer-aided design (CAD) software. You’ll also have access to tools used for nanoscale research, including scanning electron microscopes, atomic force microscopes, and transmission electron microscopes.
Earn an accredited B.S. in Biology Education
Our Bachelor of Science in Biology Education track is accredited by the National Sciences Teachers Association. This means that your degree will show potential employers and graduate programs that your educational experience meets the highest expectations for teaching excellence.
Explore Concentrations in the Biology Degree Program
The field of biology is vast and offers many unique career paths. We prepare our biology majors to stand out from others in their chosen fields by offering specialized concentration tracks. These include:
- Pre-Medical/Pre-Dental: The Pre-Medical/Pre-Dental Biology degree concentration prepares you to pursue careers in medicine and dentistry. It also provides the skills and knowledge needed to continue your education to prepare for modern careers in cell biology, molecular biology, and genetics, among other disciplines.
- General/Allied Health: Build a broad foundation in the biological sciences to pursue a science-related career or a post-baccalaureate program in a variety of allied health fields, such as PharmD, physician assistantship, physical therapy, and nursing. You can add a minor—such as Business, English, or Communications—to further focus your bachelor’s in Biology toward your career goals.
- Ecology and Organismal Biology: Our Ecology and Organismal Biology degree track lets you study biology at the larger systems level. You’ll be prepared to pursue further graduate education in biology and related fields, as well as careers in ecology, natural resource management, conservation, botany, animal behavior, or entomology.
- Biology Education: Biology majors in the Education degree track approach biology from an education perspective—preparing themselves to become not only researchers but also educators at the secondary level. You’ll learn how to use modern technology in the classroom to provide innovative educational experiences for your students.
Each of our Bachelor of Science in Biology concentration tracks is 120 credit hours, except for the B.S. in Biology Education track, which is 131 credit hours.
Achieve More with a Bachelor of Science in Biology from UMES
Graduating with your bachelor’s in Biology from UMES will set you up to succeed in prestigious graduate programs, exciting careers in industry, or as an inspirational teacher.
Many of our graduates go on to top professional schools to study medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, and physical therapy. Many other Biology majors start jobs immediately after graduation, working with private firms and local, state, and federal government agencies. Our students gain hands-on experience researching and collaborating with others, making them top candidates in graduate programs and on the job market.
Some career fields or graduate programs you could pursue when you earn your B.S. in Biology from UMES include:
- Secondary education
- Marine biology
Learn More about paying for UMES
We are committed to offering a highly accessible, affordable bachelor’s in Biology that will increase the diversity of the STEM field and bring new perspectives to the evolving study of biology. That’s why we offer several scholarships and awards for Biology majors, including:
- The Louis Stokes Alliances for Minority Participation (LSAMP) Program
- The Research Experience and Extension for Undergraduates (REEU) Program
- The Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) Program
You could also be eligible for university-wide financial aid through funds such as the Thurgood Marshall College Fund and the United Negro College Fund. Make sure to fill out a FAFSA to see whether you qualify for federal, state, or institutional grants.
Take the Next Step
When you earn a Bachelor of Science in Biology from the University of Maryland Eastern Shore, you invest in yourself and ensure that you will soar above and beyond in whatever career path you choose.