Solving Problems

The University of Maryland Eastern Shore encourages informal resolution of complaints as the most effective solution to problems. Before filing a formal complaint, individuals are encouraged to first discuss the situation directly with the other person involved and, then, with the other person’s supervisor if a resolution has not been reached.

Individuals needing assistance with directing their complaints or understanding the proper procedures may consult with the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management, Student Services Center (SSC), Suite 2169, phone (410) 651-6687.

Scroll to Top