Stay up-to-date with the latest university news and happenings at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore
The University of Maryland Eastern Shore is a close-knit community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni, and like any community we want to keep our community members informed about university news and campus events. This is your go-to page for things like the Key Newsletter (the University of Maryland Newspaper), an archive of university news over the years, and campus activities to supplement your studies and socialize with other Hawks.
Latest University News Stories
From student and faculty spotlights to important policy updates, here you’ll find the most up-to-date university news. Want to learn more about where UMES ranks among other colleges around the country? Our university news updates often include significant ranking changes from sources such as U.S. News & World Report.
- UMES prepares for new changes in FAFSA processStudents and their families applying for financial aid for the 2024-25 school year will see changes that are meant to simplify the complex and cumbersome process. One of the first changes will…
- UMES Extension leader receives top agricultural honorThe Maryland Association of County Agricultural Agents recognized Dr. E. Nelson Escobar as its 2023 Honorary Ag Agent. Escobar received the award at a surprise presentation during the University of Maryland Eastern…
- ‘I feel more hopeful’Sometimes, the greatest ideas come from personal experiences. That was the case for University of Maryland Eastern Shore sophomore Cayla Jackson when she came up with the concept of “Knew-U,” an online…
- ‘It gave me more confidence’For a brief moment, Quinton Smith wasn’t himself. The University of Maryland Eastern Shore senior history major and Richard A. Henson Honors student, known for his easygoing and calm demeanor, felt slightly…
- UMES physics professor Das named an American Physical Society FellowUniversity of Maryland Eastern Shore physics professor Kausik Das was recently selected as a fellow of the American Physical Society. It is on the heels of his also being named a fellow…
The Key Newsletter
Dive deeper into the university news and events that matter with the Key Newsletter—the official University of Maryland Newspaper. Read about the success stories of your fellow Hawks in the Key student profile series. Or learn about how UMES celebrates holidays and national weeks and months of recognition such as National Library Week or Black History Month. The Key newsletter is also a great way for alumni and family of students to stay up to date about campus events and celebrations.
Latest Campus Events
We offer summer camps that let students continue learning and growing intellectually even when regular classes are out. We throw parties in the quad and around the Princess Anne community where you can enjoy crab bakes, food trucks, dancing, and much more. And we have professional- and career-growth oriented events to help you prepare for a fulfilling position within your field.
125th Anniversary Site
The University of Maryland dates back to 1886, and throughout its long and rich history our campus has welcomed prestigious speakers and witnessed some of the most significant cultural moments of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Read about these in our university news stories from the past 125 years and learn more about the university you call home.
University News Archive
Whether you’re researching the history of UMES or just want to learn more about university news stories published over the last several decades, our university news archive is a great source to relive UMES’s history.
Join us in looking back at each year and memorializing the most important moments and university news, including athletics stories, university fiscal reports, and highlights from the many disciplines we have on campus.
Other University of Maryland Newspapers
In addition to the Key, there are several other University of Maryland newspapers and newsletters concerning specific departments and industries. These include: