The Geosciences Program takes place over six (6) weeks in the summer at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES) in Princess Anne, MD.
Geosciences Program Interns:
- Reside in the UMES residence halls (housing and meals are provided), accompanied by trained resident assistants.
- Participate in lectures and field trips with hands-on activities in areas of geoscience such as atmospheric science, biogeochemistry, civil and environmental engineering, environmental science, marine biology, marine chemistry, marine geology, physical oceanography, remote sensing/GIS and related fields.
- Enroll in either College Algebra or Calculus I (dependent upon math placement test score) and Freshman Seminar course.
- Receive $500 per week, paid bi-weekly and reimbursement for travel to/from UMES.
The Geosciences Program is for graduating high school seniors who:
- Are either a US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Have a minimum 2.7 GPA.
- Have been accepted into an accredited US college/university. Preference will be given to students entering the institutions listed on the Application Information page.
- Plan to pursue a bachelor’s degree in a geoscience discipline, such as atmospheric science, engineering (civil, electrical, environmental, ocean), environmental science, geography, marine biology, marine chemistry/biogeochemistry, marine geology, marine science, meteorology, physical oceanography, remote sensing/GIS, etc.
- Paid travel to and from UMES, housing, meals, stipend and tuition and fees for two (2) for-credit college courses (Math and Freshman Seminar, credited through UMES).
- Students who attend a NOAA Cooperative Science Center (CSC) university partner may be eligible for scholarship opportunities and research positions through their respective center. Read about the Centers, their research and their academic partners.
- A network of faculty and staff that can provide support for finding future internships and opportunities with one of our partners, such as The Woods Hole Partnership Education Program (PEP).
The Geosciences Program takes place over six weeks in the summer at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES) in Princess Anne, MD. Learn more.