UMES CARE Team
A message from the co-chairs of the UMES CARE Team
Welcome to UMES. We hope you find resources and information that can help you navigate challenging matters. We are here to help. We want to help. We are responsive. We support students, staff, faculty and community members, at their heights of achievement, their most challenging situation, and everything in between. We are invested in your success, so each time you engage with a CARE team staff member, we will ask three questions: Who are you? How are you? How can we help you?
Who are we? The Campus CARE Team, or CARE, through a collaborative and proactive approach is committed to identifying, preventing, assessing, intervening, and reducing threats to the safety and well-being of the University of Maryland Eastern Shore.
How can we help? Look no further than our guiding principles…
- The safety of individuals and the UMES community is the primary focus of the team and a shared goal of all members of the community.
- The team is not a substitute for emergency response to an active or imminent threat to the safety of the University community.
- Communication, coordination of resources, and timely response is critical to team performance.
- The team will conduct individualized assessments to determine whether a person poses a substantial risk of harm to the health of safety of others.
- A fact-based, analytical approach will guide the decision-making process of the team.
- The team will establish or utilize existing collaborative relationships with local, state, and federal law enforcement and other local and institutional resources as necessary in order to expedite assessment and intervention with individuals whose behaviors may present a threat.
- The team will treat all persons fairly, with dignity and respect.
- The team will address and manage impact to individuals, groups, and the campus community
As you navigate the site, we hope you consider emailing, calling, and/or reporting a concern. You never know what might be a difference maker for one of our community members. If you have questions, if you want to navigate a scenario, or if you want to connect…let’s make that happen.
With Hawk Pride,
Jason Casares and Courtney Thompson
Co-Chairs, UMES CARE Team