Types of Financial Aid

Financial aid is available from many different sources – the federal government; state departments and agencies; private organizations such as the Rotary, churches, employers and from the university itself. For many types of aid, the student must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). We encourage all students to apply for aid from many sources. UMES does not reduce university grants or scholarships if a student receives a scholarship from a private organization. Information can be found in your high school guidance office, through online searches, in newspaper articles, from employers as well from the UMES Office of Student Financial Aid.

Grants – money that you don’t pay back usually based on financial need.

Scholarships – awarded based on a special skill or talent such as academic, artistic or service.

Loans – money that must be repaid usually with interest.

Work Study – money earned from on-campus employment.

Scroll to Top