UMES continues to adhere to its purpose by:
- Providing high-quality undergraduate and graduate programs that will equip students with 21st-century knowledge and skills necessary for the challenges of America and the world;
- Affirming its role as Maryland’s Historically Black 1890 Land-Grant institution by providing citizens with opportunities and access that will enhance their lives and enable them to develop intellectually, economically, socially, and culturally;
- Demonstrating shared governance through recognition of the viewpoints that various members of the university community contribute to the institution;
- Appreciating diversity in its student body, faculty, staff, and administration through civility, commitment to tolerance, freedom of expression, and celebration of other cultures;
- Adhering to the highest standards of honesty, fairness, trust, and integrity in both personal and professional behavior;
- Promoting student-centeredness as the heart of the educational enterprise; and
- Focusing on character development through learning and leadership experiences.